The Katydid Wood Stove
by Unforgettable Fire, LLC
EPA Certification and UL Listing for the Katydid is in the works, however, the manufacturer will delay the production of additional units until new EPA certification standards are announced. If you would like to be notified when the next production run is complete, please put yourself on the waiting list. We do not yet have an ETA on the production of new units.
LIMITED PRODUCT RUN: Unforgettable Fire has announced a limited production run on the Katydid for sale to customers that live in States where the EPA certification is not mandatory. If you would like to reserve a unit from this run, please contact us directly to pre-order: 828-689-8742.
READ THE YAHOO FINANCE ARTICLE about the latest testing on Katydid, which makes her the cleanest burning wood stove on the planet!
Meet Katydid, Kimberly Wood Stove's Big, Little Sister.
The Katydid Wood Stove is the latest in a series of stoves
by Unforgettable Fire that are designed to be super-efficient, eco-friendly,
and powerful! Just released in September of 2013, the Katydid incorporates many
of the same features that we love about the Kimberly Wood Stove: a dual
combustion chamber, a high efficiency rating, and an easy to install design.
But, while the Kimberly was designed for smaller homes, RVs, boats, yurts and
other small spaces of up to 1,500 square feet, the Katydid is designed for
those with larger living spaces. The Katydid wood stove can produce up to
85,000 BTU for a mainstream sized home, heating up to 3,000 square feet of well
Improvements on the design also make the Katydid one of the
only wood stoves on the market now that operate as a closed air system, keeping
critters (and cold air) out. The Katydid is also a bigger stove, making it
possible to throw in FIVE TIMES the firewood, for even longer burn times than
And even better yet, Katydid IS MORE AFFORDABLE!
Manufactured in southern Oregon from American-made black steel, measuring 12 x 12 x 38 inches, and weighing about 150 pounds, the Katydid gasifier wood stove meets (or beats!) the efficiency of her sister stove, Kimberly in EPA/CSA testing so far.
The Katydid is offered with a choice of bases, including pedestal, legs, or fire box, as shown. Please specify your preference when you order.
- American made precision cut black steel, manufactured in Oregon
- Black powder coat finish with stainless trim
- Height 28" 12 w 12 d.
- Weighs 150 lbs.
- Heat output 85,000.00 BTU per hour or better
- Will heat up to 3,000 square feet of well insulated living space
- Burn time of 12 hours (two logs, coal bed to coal bed)
- Can burn logs up to 14 inches long
- Single air control
- Vents with 4-inch double-wall pellet stove pipe and Class A pass through
- Convective blower (12 volt) (available at extra cost in the future)
- Outside air intake can be turned so it draws from outside wall (for cement pad foundation) or down through floor
- Sealed outside air intake keeping bugs, rodents, and cold air out of room when not in use (only stove on market with this feature)
- You choice of 3 bases (wood box, legs, pedestal)
- Estimate that EPA certification & UL-List testing will be done by January 1, 2014 (US and Canadian mobile home certified when testing is complete)
- Construction is black steel body, stainless secondary combustion chamber, tertiary fire zone in top of stove.
- Accesories that will become available for the Katydid include: 1. 12V Blower; 2. a baking oven, 3. thermo-electric generator, and 4. a hot water coil unit (for radiant floor heat, in development).
The Katydid's fire box has 5 times the volume, a large glass door, ash pan system, and a shaker grate for easy cleaning. Unforgettable Fire, LLC has also incorporated vermiculite panels inside the firebox for awesome performance and protecting the combustion chamber walls for long life. There is a sealed outside air intake so no room air can be burned and cold air will not infiltrate the home when stove is not in use. EPA Certification of the Katydid is expected to be complete by January 1, 2014.
NOW AVAILABLE: The thermo-electric generator (TEG) for the Katydid wood stove is now available for purchase. Add a liquid cooled generator that sits INSIDE the Katydid, and works to produce instant electricity for you through heat generation! This generator produces 50 watts of power (the same as many solar panels!).
50 Watts / 2.74 Amps / 14.7 Volts
Or, choose the air cooled TEG, which sits on top of the Katydid and produces 20 Watss of instant back up power for your cell phone, laptop or air blower.
20 Watts / 2.74 Amps / 14.7 Volts
The top is a very functional cook top and like Kimberly, the oven attachment will be the same unit with a different bottom. Katydid can have the air cooled TEG unit or the new water cooled unit attached to the rear of the stove. There is room for water coils inside each stove, and the manufacturer is hoping to create a waste heat collector for domestic hot water which can work with a stagnant system. The internal coils are only for continuous movement water systems.
Unforgettable Fire LLC specializes in providing high-efficiency, offgrid wood stoves: RV Wood Stoves * Small Wood Stoves * Small, Efficient Portable * EPA Certified * Boat Stoves * EPA Stoves * Offgrid Stoves for Yurts, Motorhomes, Campers, Hunting cabins, and more!